Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Homemade Canopy for under $50.

A few years ago I came across a picture on Tumblr of a canopy bed. I thought about that picture for weeks, dreaming of how much fun it would be to draw the curtains close and hide in your own private space.

I wasn't sure how to make something like that myself, so I gave it a go and winged it.
Here was the outcome:



All it took was a trip to Target and a few hours.

Supplies:

4 curtain panels at least 84" in length: $20 for 4.
1 pkg. fishing wire: $6.99.
3 sheer curtain scarves (for billowy ceiling cover):  $12 for 3.
2 curtain tie-backs: $10 for 2.
Total: $49

I simply nailed the curtain scarves from wall to wall, making it billow in random places.
I then hung fishing line from one wall to the other going straight across. You can use two screws to hold the fishing wire, or add hooks like I did. You want to add another screw in the ceiling directly half way between the two walls and add a support wire from that screw/hook to the middle of the fishing wire.
Make sure you add the curtains to the fishing wire before you secure each side to the wall.
You basically have your canopy after this step. You can then use the tie-backs to keep the curtains parted as above, or close for your own private bedroom cave.

I have since moved into a loft, but I sure do miss that canopy.



No comments:

Post a Comment